Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Heart for the Nations


So much has happened since I last updated you all a few weeks ago!  I have traveled to Atlanta, GA for some fantastic shopping, quality time, and a huge laser show during our “D-Group Weekend,” learned about Biblical Disciple-Making from Soup Campbell and his wife Linda, mastered every type of combination offered at Shake’s Frozen Custard, met, prayed with, and attended the church pastored by David Platt (author of “Radical” and “Follow Me”), had a fantastic time on a redneck-themed group date (I felt right at home), and been continually challenged in every aspect of my walk with Christ!


For this update, I would just like to share a couple of the monumental learning moments that have really challenged me!

I have been so blessed by my past three years of involvement in StuMo because of the continuous focus on living out my relationship with Christ with an outward focus so that others can pass along the legacy of the faith, but this past week completely rocked my world on that perspective.  Soup Campbell, the man who discipled Kennon Vaughn (founder of Down Line Ministries of Memphis) and Lecrae (Christian rap artist), visited with our group last weekend.  The first talk he gave was during our leader training on Monday morning.  The theme seemed to revolve around the fact that the purpose of studying the Bible and learning is immediate obedience.  The process of making disciples involves: 1. seeing the masses through individual people (the countless people they will eventually have the potential to impact, 2. focus on building and equipping individual disciples, 3. those disciples going to the ends of the earth, 4. until the end of time.  

       He continually referred back to God’s Word and prayer being our “instrument panel” for accomplishing this purpose, and having an unwavering faith in God to use your life when you take bolder steps than you could do on your own.  I loved how he used an analogy of the fact that when you sit in a chair, you put all of your weight into it- putting yourself at risk of falling down if it does not follow through in it’s purpose.  In the same way, how are we putting all of our weight into God and trusting him to hold us up when we take all control out of our own reach?

My favorite (and most convicting) part of his talk was his focus on the world.  He specifically called our group out and asked why we didn’t have international students among us this summer.  It dawned on me that I say that I have a world focus, I pray for the world regularly, and even try to be intentional with international students in my classes at K-State... but why am I not putting a significant focus on getting to know and sharing the gospel with international students?  With over 2,000 international students at K-State, I have the potential to reach countries that I could never step foot in.  In fact, China and India are two of the most numerously represented countries on campus-- two countries that have the greatest need for the gospel.  If international students came to know Christ in Kansas, were established in the faith, and returned to their home country, they would have the capability to reach more “unreachable” people for the gospel!  Please join me in praying that I would do everything that I can to take advantage of this incredible opportunity on campus next fall, and that God would even put international students who are participating in work study programs here in Gulf Shores this summer in places where I can get to know them! I have never before been so burdened for the nations, and I’m so much more determined now more than ever to take immediate action!

“Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.” Psalm 2:8



Also, here are a few fun pictures of our week!
(Posing for a picture while Redneck truck shopping during our D-Group date!)

(a cake I made at work!)

This week as you join with me in prayer, would you please remember:
-that my heart, as well as the women in my group’s hearts would continue to grow for the nations and we would see the masses through individuals
-continued unity of our group (we have had incredible synergy so far and are really getting to know each other deeply and just really enjoy life together)
-that God would open the hearts of women in AXiD during the summer and that they would be spiritually interested in the fall!
-that the rest of the summer would be just as refreshing and encouraging as the first part!
-safe travels as I step away from Kaleo for AXiD National Convention in San Francisco for a few days next week. Also that I could be intentional with that time.

Please let me know how I can be praying for you!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment