Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Have it yo way, but don't get crazy!

Kaleo: to be called. The call that gave a direction to my summer was literally a real phone call. Ok, so Jesus didn’t call me up on my Droid, but I did get a call from a StuMo staff member informing me that I had been accepted into a summer project entitled “Kaleo.” Here is a basic outline of what my summer looks like:

-Live with three fabulous ladies (Bethany, Alyson, and Tiffany) in StayBridge Suites in Gulf Shores, AL until July 31st.

-Devote strategic time each week to Bible study, prayer, ministry, and fellowship with the more than 150 K-State and KU students.

-Find a job and work Monday-Friday for approximately 40 hours/week. I chose to fulfill my childhood fantasy of working at McDonald’s.

So I know what you’re thinking. “Seriously Sara? Are you really spending your entire summer as an employee of McDonald’s saying the phrase ‘Do you want fries with that’ over and over, offering the chance to Super Size your meal that single-handily took care of your daily calorie count, and earning minimum wage? Yes, yes in fact, I am. Get excited, because during the next 7 weeks I will be sharing my wisdom earned from Mickey D’s life + Christ.

STOP! Before you read any more of my blog, you must watch this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkdcYlOn5M Do it. Right now.

“Have it yo way… But don’t get crazy:” not my general greeting as a McDonald’s Crew Member. However, during my first few days of work as the “order taker,” and “cashier” (multi-tasking at it’s finest) of the Gulf Shores McDonalds, Bon Qui Qui and I have a few things in common.

First of all, our job descriptions are very similar. Let me explain. I listen (very very closely, because most people ride the struggle bus when it comes to articulating their words), and take orders with my fancy red headset. After I say the magic words of “pull around to the first window,” I rob them of their money in exchange for an almost lethal amount of fat, carbs, grease, and the other wonderful food groups. Simple right? WRONG!

I am a smart girl. I managed a 4.0 GPA in high school, was a member of every organization possible, found success in many different areas of life, but nothing could prepare me for the challenge of Mickey D’s. Nothing will teach you patience, multi-tasking, and the importance of accuracy and precision like this place. And of course we all know that these things cannot develop without a little pressure right? Between counting an ungodly amount of change, finding those annoying little details that people have to get right on their cheeseburger, and constantly being pushed to work as quickly as possible, at the end of the day, I should pretty much be dead. With no hope of ever returning to the land of the living.

When it comes to glamorous jobs, McDonald’s is probably literally one of the last ones on all of our lists. I won’t lie, despite my excitement over living out my childlike dream world, I still secretly thought that this job might not be the greatest thing ever. But then I realized how blessed I am to have this opportunity. Just like Bon Qui Qui, I am paid to communicate with people every day. My customers are:

People who don’t know if they want a large diet coke or large sweet tea. People that literally vary from a family barely scraping around enough pennies to pay for their food, and wealthy businessmen driving a Porsche wearing a golf polo and talking on their Bluetooth. People who have families, who are single, who are lost, who are unloved, who just got a big break, who are facing new chapters in their lives.

There is never a moment during the day that at least one customer is not either ordering or parked at the window of my drive thru, and the awesome thing is, they are all so incredibly unique. And those are just the individuals on the other side of the window.

I am surrounded by several fellow “Kaleo-ans,” but we are also able to invest our lives in many full-time McDonald’s employees. So they may not be much like the group of friends that I live life with in Kansas. Some of them are struggling with family issues, personal issues, or maybe just having a tough break in their lives. They’re living a different life than I am, but that doesn’t mean that I cannot find a way to relate my life to theirs.

There is my job description, but that isn’t all I focus on from 8-4 every day. So here we have it, my purpose for the summer:

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” -1 Peter 4:8-10

Love: how I will make that bridge with the people I am surrounded with. Patience with a demanding customer can only be found by love. Compassion for a co-worker’s struggles can only be found in love. And this deep love that Peter is talking about can only be achieved through a relationship with Christ.

Hospitality: so McDonald’s can be easy to grumble about. However, if I truly apply the first point of love, the grumbles will be much easier to remove from the drive-thru window. Even after I turn the speaker off. (yes, order takers do make sarcastic comments occasionally)

Gifts: who would have thought that me being approachable and my ease with conversations would help me as a McDonald’s employee. Thanks to years of perfecting my tone, etiquette, etc, it is easy for me to add that extra something over the speaker or at the window that might possibly make someone’s day brighter.

Why do I want to take full advantage of my totally awesome summer job? Why do I spend so much time and energy thinking through what my attitude looks like and the specific ways to apply my gifts in something like this? My thought is simple: I want others to see “God’s grace” in every action and conversation that I have as a Crew Member. I want the opportunity to share the dramatic way that Christ has changed my life and watch Him transform others around me.

Whether we are working at McDonald’s, spending time on the family farm, or just hanging out for the summer, keep in mind that with the right recipe, we can make any situation purposeful if we approach it the right way. You never know how much a BigMac order can transform someone else’s life.

(Side note… At the end of my blogs, I want to leave you with one big McQuestion. Take a moment to ponder over that relation to your life.)

McQuestion 1: How will you make the most of your summer surroundings to let others see your life purpose?

It is only day two at Mickey D’s, but don’t worry, there are many stories yet to come regarding my progress. Maybe eventually I will even be able to call in the “saaaaacurity, saaacurity!” Who knows!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome writing! I am excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sacurrrity!! Sacurrrrity! We got a complicated order! :)

    Hey Girl! Finally got all caught up on your wonderful blogging. Sounds like your faith is growing and you are having a blast. Can't wait to catch up on all your adventures in August!!!! Enjoy your last few days!

    ReplyDelete